Pokemon Valor
Hey! You need to log in. If you still have yet to sign up- please register so that you can access several features only available to members.
Pokemon Valor
Hey! You need to log in. If you still have yet to sign up- please register so that you can access several features only available to members.
Pokemon Valor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Hey everybody! Let's give a warm welcome to our newest member: https://pokemonvalor.rpg-board.net/u488!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact an administrator or support mod. (See staff list)

4 Questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Noname

4 Questions Empty
PostSubject: 4 Questions   4 Questions EmptyTue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Good day to you all, roleplayers.

I'm looking for a place to roleplay a pokemon trainer during his/her travels, but before registering I decided to ask a few questions just to know how to behave correctly.

1) I'm not new to roleplay, and I tend to write roleplayed posts using past tense, while describing the surroundings, like I'm writing a story. I read a few topics into the board and I saw you usually write using present tense. Is there a problem if my posts are written using past? (I can adapt, it's just to know :P)

2) Are pokemons tied to the 4 moves total rule like in the games, or it's possible to adopt an approach closer to the cartoon, where pokemons keep all the moves they know and behave more realistically in terms of their physical abilities? It's not something I want to consider in pokemon battling, but more about uses outside of battle. For example, asking a lv 100 Charizard to use "ember" to light up a small campfire even if it doesn't have the move in its four battle slots.

Another example: that level 100 Charizard has wings. It should make sense that it can fly outside combat even without knowing "fly". It may be unable to carry around a trainer, but it should be seen fly in the wild, or when it follows its trainer if it's in the mood to do so.

3) Are starters limited to those in the topic? I'd love to start with a Petilil, for example. If I write a suitable explaination for starting with it in the character creation, may I obtain one as a starter?

4) How much "power" do i have for describing the environment my character moves in? Can I, for example, be able to describe the road I'm walking on and the generic actions of background secondary characters, like persons shopping in a marketplace my character is visiting (people I won't interact with at all), or I'm limited to my character only?

Sorry for all those questions, sorry if I look annoying, sorry for the bad temporary username, and sorry to take your time away with my annoying questions XD

I'm looking forward to roleplay with you.

Have a good day!
Back to top Go down

4 Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Questions   4 Questions EmptyTue May 24, 2011 3:10 pm

I may not be a mod, but I can at least answer some of these ^^

1. I too write in past tense, and it doesn't seem to be any problem.

2. I believe they're limited, but physical abilities I think are okay [as my Dunsparce doesn't know 'fly' but hovers around using its wings to get around].

3. I think I saw one of the admins say something about there being options to use common Pokemon. May want to ask them first though ^^

4. I described my surroundings in RP and wasn't told anything, so I think that's fine. I think random people that weren't introduced by the moderator are okay too. [I played out a Nurse Joy's actions in my thread to heal my Pokemon. It's not like she gave me any new Pokemon or anything.]

Look forward to your joining ^^
Back to top Go down
Driz

Driz

Character sheet
Items:
Age/Name: 19/Mysie
Pokemon Team:

4 Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Questions   4 Questions EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Fael's answers were pretty accurate. :) & Sorry if my answers, or add-ons, don't make much sense... I just woke up.

1.) It doesn't really matter how you write, although it's preferred that it isn't in first person... That can get annoying, although I do moderate in second person out of pure habit.

2.) Yeah, you're allowed to play around with a given pokèmon's natural abilities.

"Another example: that level 100 Charizard has wings. It should make sense that it can fly outside combat even without knowing "fly". It may be unable to carry around a trainer, but it should be seen fly in the wild, or when it follows its trainer if it's in the mood to do so."

That's exactly how I've always imagined it. Just remember, if you use anything in battle- such as an "ember"- without the desired move in your actual movepool: the effect is weaker. Example: You can turn a tackle into a quick attack essentially, by saying they put all their strength into moving faster, but of course the actual damage it inflicts is less than desirable.

3.) Starters are limited to those in the topic, as well as pokèmon that are listed as "common" on a given encounter list. There used to be a "Common List" somewhere, but we've changed the encounter lists recently ▬ so you'd have to go around to see if Petilil is listed as common. Sorry I can't do it for you, I have a few other things to do around the site. :[

EDIT: I was actually browsing the encounter lists, and I noticed Petilil is in fact common in Isido Meadows. Don't die of excitement. ~

4.) You're not limited to only your character: you can create NPC, so long as you don't actually receive anything IC from them. (Which would be considered godmodding.) That means any NPC you're going to battle, trade with, etc. Must be created and controlled by a moderator. Yes, you're allowed to create random NPC for pure means of plot, or character development.

There is one exception to this rule. We have "training" topics- you can look at the Training Rules in the Rules forum for more information on that. But in these training topics, you're allowed to create whatever NPC you like, so long as you only battle with them: nothing more.

I'msosleepy.

Welcome to Oasis. ♥
Back to top Go down
Noname

4 Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Questions   4 Questions EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:15 am

Yay! Thank you both for your answers!

I'll set up an account and start working on my character. See you on Honiso!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4 Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Questions   4 Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

4 Questions
Page 1 of 1